Deputy Secretary for Health Products Regulation, Department of Health
Adjunct Professor John Skerritt heads the Health Products Regulation Group, which works to safeguard and enhance the health of all Australians through effective, timely and risk proportionate regulation of therapeutic goods and control of drug import, export and production.
He was formerly a Deputy Secretary in the Victorian Government and has extensive experience in medical, agricultural and environmental policy, regulation, research management, technology application and commercialisation. John was previously the Deputy Chief Executive Officer of a Commonwealth Statutory Authority, a Ministerial appointee on the Gene Technology Technical Advisory Committee and Chair of the Board of a major international technical organisation. During the 1990s he held senior management positions in The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation and Cooperative Research Centres.
He has significant experience on Boards of international and national organisations and more than 25 years’ experience in negotiating and leading international technical and commercial collaborations. He is currently Vice-Chair of the International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Centre for Innovation in Regulatory Science.
· Is an Adjunct Full Professor of the Universities of Sydney, Queensland and Canberra.
· Has a University Medal and PhD from the University of Sydney.
· Is a graduate of the Senior Executive Programs of London Business School and of IMD Business School, Switzerland.
· Is a Fellow of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
· Is a Fellow of the Institute of Public Administration of Australia (Victoria).